This blog is meant to get you brainstorming about some of the best Kootenay wedding venues to host your wedding. This is solely my opinion, based on my experience and conversations with my clients. The list is not based on any partnership with any of the places I list.
I’ve been a wedding photographer for over a decade, and based in Nelson BC for much of the nearly 250 weddings I’ve had the honour and pleasure to photograph. With that experience in mind, I bring you a list of the best Kootenay wedding venues!
The Best Kootenay Wedding Venues
The best resort venue is Blaylock Mansion.
- Blaylock is an elegant, historic mansion nestled in the hills, with manicured gardens and beautiful views.
- It’s in high demand for good reason. There’s no need to leave the grounds for anything!
- Inside the mansion is a gorgeous bridal suite, a great place to get ready and watch your guests arrive.
- Your closest loved ones can stay there with you, and the mansion is close to town for an easy shuttle or cab ride.
A fantastic hall venue is Georama Growers near Nelson.
- It’s perched on the hillside above the lake for lovely afternoon light.
- The hall is actually one of the greenhouses!
- There’s a meadow for portraits right beside the lawn where you can have the ceremony.
- The only drawback is that it’s not available until July.
An awesome off-the-beaten-path venue is Gray Creek Hall.
- It’s a bit of a jaunt from any major centre, but you’ll be rewarded with the intimate feel of a rustic cabin along the sweeping shore of Kootenay Lake. It’s absolutely beautiful and worth the trek!
- Ten minutes from the hall in the eclectic little town of Crawford Bay are multiple restaurants and artist galleries for your guests to sink into the east shore vibe.
- Crawford Bay has cabins where everyone can stay. If your guests are a little more outdoorsy, they can camp nearby.
- If you’re looking for a classic Kootenay experience, Gray Creek Hall is a Kootenay wedding venue perfectly made for romantics overlooking the awesome east shore.
The Vallican Whole Community Centre is an intimate locale.
- Similar to Gray Creek Hall, it’s a 30 minute shuttle ride for your guests who want a hotel, there are several guest-houses near the hall, or there’s on-site camping for the outdoor lovers.
- It’s nestled in the forest and gives you tons of freedom to do what you want.
- The hall is air conditioned!
- It’s far away from urban sounds and lights. I managed to capture the Milky Way near the hall and this video will give you a sense of how special the Vallican Whole is.
If you want a ski resort for your Kootenay wedding venue,
- Red Mountain Resort near Rossland is classic!
- They’ve got a pretty deck for the ceremony, on-site lodging, and in house catering.
- There are tons of locations nearby for portraits.
- The Josie Hotel is also a lovely upscale wedding venue at Red Mountain.
- Unfortunately Whitewater Ski Resort has limited summer operations so it’s a challenge, though not impossible, to have your wedding at Whitewater.
Book a gorgeous getaway for all your guests at Bull River Guest Ranch
- It’s located on a stunning vista near the Bull River under the gaze of the Rocky Mountains.
- While it’s about a thirty minute drive from Cranbrook in the East Kootenays, you and your guests will have the place all to yourselves.
- The staff are incredibly sweet and accommodating, and the animals are adorable additions to the wedding party 😉
A convenient all-in-one resort is Kootenay Lakeview Resort
- I’ve shot tons of wedding here for destination weddings and for locals.
- It’s by Balfour, a 30 minute shuttle to Nelson, or your guests can stay in the hotel on site.
- We’ve got lots of wonderful lakeside portrait places nearby.
- The cabin is perfect for the reception if you don’t want to risk the weather outside.
- And if you like golf… you can see the course from your window!
The best Kootenay wedding venues list wouldn’t be complete without talking about lakeside and backyard weddings. The Kootenays are loved for their laidback feel, and a backyard wedding beautifully fits the region’s vibe.
Backyard events like this Christina Lake wedding tend to be more personal than a resort wedding, a little more private, and sometimes more affordable–but there is a lot of logistical planning involved.
There are several wonderful Kootenay wedding planners to help with your backyard or lakeside wedding:
If you’re looking for the feel of a backyard but don’t have a friend or relative able to host you,
- Some Lakeside AirBnBs may be open to a wedding party.
- A non-backyard, backyard-feeling Kootenay wedding location is Sunshine Bay Park in Proctor (see the sites below). They’ve got a commercial kitchen, bathrooms, camping space, and a large covered gazebo with a cement dance floor!
- Birchbank Picnic Grounds has similar amenities and is located close to Trail BC.
This is definitely not an exhaustive list of the best Kootenay wedding venues!
I’d love to tell you about wedding venues in Revelstoke, Kelowna and Vancouver… but I’ll save those for another post. Or we can talk about it when you contact me.
I look forward to hearing from you!